About This Role
Apeel has developed proprietary formulations and application equipment to process fresh produce on a commercial scale both domestically and internationally. We're currently looking for a Senior Sustaining Engineer to join the growing Engineering team. The Senior Sustaining Engineer will be responsible for providing leadership and experience within the larger Sustaining Engineering team, working on a broad range of projects including design updates to existing equipment, corrective action and Operations technical support issues. This role will require up to 25% travel to our domestic and international locations.
What You’ll Do
- Lead design and process improvements across the full range of deployed Apeel treatment equipment, through the full equipment life cycle
- Work with the Design Engineering team on the release of new equipment to Operations
- Work with Operations field teams and Quality to identify and implement design improvements for improved ease of use, safety, productivity, and performance
- Lead and support other teams on the resolution of non-conformance issues through the Apeel corrective action process
- Lead and work with other team members to drive all design and documentation improvements through the Apeel Engineering Change Control process
- Work with Operations field service teams on any field failures and perform failure investigations to identify and help implement corrective actions
- Generate and update detailed CAD models with appropriate parts, assemblies, and drawings.
- Perform necessary calculations or analysis to ensure design performance
- Work with third-party equipment vendors on design updates and corrective action, as needed
- Design and implement equipment and process improvements
- Build initial proof of concept / prototype systems
- Generate and carry out performance validation test plans for new designs
- Proactively manage reliability and performance risk mitigation tasks, to ensure the long-term reliability of designed systems
- Write technical reports, present design and test results during Apeel’s technical forums
What You Bring
- BS degree required, MS degree preferred in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or similar
- Minimum 10 years of hands-on experience designing, testing, and deploying complex machinery
- Experience working with and designing agriculture / food processing equipment or similar industrial machinery
- Experience working with third party design and fabrication firms on the development, testing and acceptance of new equipment
- Experience working with equipment in a cGMP pharmaceutical or food processing environment
- Familiarity with Hygienic / Sanitary design is highly desirable
- Experience working with PLCs and HMIs on industrial controls and automation equipment
- Experienced CAD user, preferably with SolidWorks
- Highly experienced in managing technical projects through an Engineering Change Control process and generating associated engineering and design documentation
- Experienced in failure root cause analysis tools and best practices
- Hands-on experience with the assembly, testing, and troubleshooting of electro-mechanical systems.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics
- Experience working with component suppliers to identify, validate and source key components, and resolve any component quality or non-conformance issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-directed but also works effectively and professionally with cross functional teams to achieve common Company goals
- Spanish-language proficiency preferred
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.