CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. This begins by developing a new class of high-field superconducting magnets that will enable the SPARC tokamak to demonstrate net energy from fusion for the first time. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well; improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems; have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and have skillsets and experience that relate to this role.
While CFS is focused on SPARC in the near term to demonstrate net fusion energy and the viability of our magnet technology, we are beginning to scope out ARC, the first commercial fusion power plant. We are seeking a Scientific Software Developer (our "ARC Model Developer") to develop and maintain computational tools incorporating tokamak physics and engineering constraints to enable rapid iterative design of ARC.
This team member will:
- work within a multi-disciplinary team of physicists and engineers as part of collaborative sponsored research projects at the MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center;
- report to the heads of the ARC scoping team;
- lead the development of computational tools to enable more efficient ARC and SPARC design scoping and analysis;
- gather input from various members of the SPARC and ARC design teams to improve the physics and engineering fidelity of the tools;
- maintain the computational tool code base as new contributions are added; and
- apply computational tools to aid in the design of the world’s first fusion power plant
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- a bachelor’s degree in computer science, physics, mechanical engineering, or a closely related field;
- at least 5 years experience with object-oriented code development, preferably in Python;
- general knowledge of electromagnetism;
- general understanding of mechanical and electrical systems;
- experience interacting with a large team of different skillsets;
- the demonstrated ability to step into new roles as necessary in order to contribute to the most critical aspects of a project;
- an ability to clearly express and critique ideas;
- an emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity; and
- a drive towards commercially viable solutions
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.