Fueled by an innovative drive and a deep understanding of the soil microbiome, Pivot Bio is pioneering game-changing advances in agriculture. Our first commercial product harnesses the power of naturally-occurring microbes to provide nutrients to crops. We are dedicated to providing new sustainable ways for farmers to improve yield as they work to help feed the world’s growing population. Read/Hear more about Pivot Bio on OneZero or CNN.
Position: Lab Manager, Preferred location: Hayward, CA
Pivot Bio is seeking a versatile new addition to our LabOps team for the position of Lab
Manager at our Hayward site. The Lab Manager will play an integral role in the build-out and
renovation of newly acquired lab space by ensuring the alignment of Best Practices between our
multiple facilities, and enabling the LabOps team to meet the increasing needs of our fast growing
team of researchers. This role oversees equipment maintenance, ensures adequate supplies for experimental needs,
manages lab safety programs to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, assists in
laboratory space and facilities planning, makes recommendations for changes, maintains inventory
of laboratory furniture and equipment, and provides a vital link between our Hayward facilities and
our HQ in Berkeley.
- Equipment maintenance.
- Troubleshooting, scheduling PMs/ repairs/ required annual
calibrations, asset tracking, recordkeeping.
- Maintaining shared workstations and storage areas within the labs, ensuring the lab
areas are kept in a clean, orderly, and sanitized state. (Experience with the 5S
Method a plus.)
- Oversight and enforcement of required lab safety/ health policies, such as those
related to chemical storage and waste management policies, as well as Covid-19
prevention measures, to ensure compliance multiple regulatory agencies.
- Ordering and maintaining an inventory of common lab supplies, daily restocking of
consumables, and maintaining levels of backstock at sufficient levels.
- Developing and implementing continuous improvement initiatives to increase
operational efficiency of the laboratory.
- Serving as a point of contact for communication between multiple R+D teams and
LabOps staff, coordinating with research staff on issues which impact lab
- Working directly with engineering to ensure building infrastructure/ MEP is sufficient
to support planned lab equipment in advance of installation.
- Bench assignment and set-up, allocation of freezer and cold room space.
- Packing and shipping outgoing shipments in compliance with DOT/ IATA regulations.
- Qualified candidates will hold a BA/BS in a related discipline plus 8 years of
relevant professional experience or, a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant
area of study plus 5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Laboratory management experience is required.
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Nimble versatility, comfortable wearing many hats.
- The ability to shift priorities quickly as needed, while keeping them aligned with company
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work effectively either as part of a team, or independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with genuine interest in supporting the success of
- Self-motivation, drive to routinely initiate and deliver projects successfully with
- Must be proficient with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Share
Point, Adobe editor/PDF creation software.
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment with
This position and will report directly to the Facilities/Lab Ops Manager.
**Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
What we offer:
- Competitive package in a disruptive startup
- Stock options
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance with employer-paid premiums
- Life, Short Term and Long Term Disability policies
- Employee Assistance Program with free referrals and discounts
- 401(k) plan, 3% Match
- Commuter benefits
- Annual Training & Development support
- Flexible vacation policy with a generous holiday schedule
- Exciting opportunity to work with a talented and fun team