EnergyHub is seeking a Data Scientist for our Advanced Grid Services and Analytics team: someone who can build and maintain large-scale statistical models that turn billions of data points into insights, forecasts, and optimal device control. Your work will reach thermostats, EV chargers, solar panels, and other smart energy devices in homes and businesses across the country, aggregating them into grid-aware virtual power plants that stabilize the electric grid and enable its continued decarbonization.
As a Data Scientist you will:
- Extend our industry-leading analytics platform for distributed energy resources (DERs), including
- Digital twin models of air conditioners, grid-interactive water heaters, EV chargers, batteries, smart inverters, and other DERs
- Load, generation, and capacity forecasting models to provide utilities and our own control algorithms unparalleled visibility into the grid edge
- Advanced grid services, including battery and water heater load shift services, solar curtailment, and EV managed charging
- Our real-time control platform, which turns grid service objectives, real-time data, and forecasts into optimal, multiscale DER control
- Write, test, and maintain high-performance python code that runs in our mission-critical production system
- Architect, implement, and provide real-time operational support for our suite of advanced grid services
- Use physical and statistical modeling techniques to enhance the quality of our device and meter data
- Design in-depth analyses of device, customer, and grid service performance data in partnership with our client success and market services teams
- Collaborate with our engineering team to design API integrations with our DER partners, based on electrical engineering principles and grid service needs
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field (PhD preferred)
- Strong fundamentals in one or more of the related areas: machine learning, statistics, optimization. Experience using those skills to design and implement novel solutions to real-world problems.
- Experience using the Python scientific stack (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, scipy, statsmodels) to clean, filter, aggregate, transform, visualize and then model data
- Significant team project work in either production-facing commercial application development (preferred), open source contributions or large academic projects
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English, particularly around technical subject matter
Nice to haves:
- Experience with our tech stack: MongoDB, RabbitMQ, Docker, AWS (EC2, S3, Cloudwatch), and Travis CI
- Knowledge of electric power systems, including utility systems and equipment, power engineering, DERs, and energy markets
- Background in electrical engineering or control theory.
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting real-time, customer-facing software applications
- A passion for clean energy!
EnergyHub is a growing enterprise software company that works with the most forward-thinking companies in smart energy. Our platform lets consumers turn their smart thermostats, electric cars, water heaters, and other products into virtual power plants that keep the grid stable and enable higher penetration of solar and wind power. We work on technology that already provides energy and cost savings to millions of people through partnerships with the leading companies in the Internet of Things.
EnergyHub offers a generous benefits package including 100% paid medical for employees and a 401(k) with employer match. We offer a casual environment, the flexibility to set your own schedule, a fully stocked fridge and pantry, free Citi Bike membership, secure bike rack, gym subsidy, paid parental leave, and an education assistance program.
EnergyHub is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In connection with your application, we collect information that identifies, reasonably relates to or describes you (“Personal Information”). The categories of Personal Information that we may collect include your name, government-issued identification number(s), email address, mailing address, other contact information, emergency contact information, employment history, educational history, and demographic information. We collect and use those categories of Personal Information about you for human resources and other business management purposes, including identifying and evaluating you as a candidate for potential or future employment or future positions, recordkeeping in relation to recruiting and hiring, conducting analytics, and ensuring compliance with applicable legal requirements and Company policies.