Join a mashup of energy enthusiasts and creative tech wizards who are taking the fight to climate change. Disrupt and reimagine the energy experience using modern technologies.
Arcadia is a technology company revolutionizing the energy industry. We make choosing clean energy easy for everyone, no matter where you live or who your utility provider is. Founded in 2015, Arcadia set out with one purpose that continues to drive us today: a 100% clean energy future.
As a Full Stack Engineer, you will directly contribute to democratizing access to clean energy by building the technology that makes it happen, and the user experiences that makes it intuitive. You’ll work across the stack, contribute to scalable systems, and dive headfirst into technical material. In doing so, you will unlock a more human relationship with energy; accelerating everyone’s agency to choose renewables, and hopefully stabilize our climate before it’s too late.
What we’re looking for:
We are seeking a resourceful and versatile Full Stack Engineer to join the Engineering team to help bring our visions to life. The ideal candidate is a low-ego team player who approaches engineering problems and potential solutions with a unique, holistic, and long-term perspective, and is genuinely excited to build the software expanding renewable energy access to millions of households across the country. We're looking for an inquisitive, analytical problem-solver who possesses both grit and flexibility in the face of a rapidly changing regulatory and competitive landscape -- our work often involves implementing unconventional solutions and requires someone who’s not afraid to explore new domains when previous methods fail, sort through minute details, or find non-engineering ways around a problem. This individual must be comfortable with iterating towards a solution and collaborating closely with colleagues in Product, Design, Marketing, and Analytics along the way.
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone who relishes the chance to engage with cutting-edge technology, influence how our team builds and stays relevant, and work in a fast-paced environment with engineers on a high-morale, tightly knit team. Our engineering values are deeply ingrained in our culture-- you can read more about them here.
This role is based in Washington, D.C., or New York City, NY, though we are open to considering a remote candidate (we are all working from home at the moment).
What you'll do:
- Develop, scale, and maintain robust software applications
- Partner with Product, Design, Marketing, and Analytics to deliver the best possible product for our members
- Build frontend web experiences, data access and backend systems
- Implement the business logic, services, and APIs that bring renewable energy to our members
- Frequently deploy new functionality to production with a streamlined CI/CD pipeline
- Explore new technologies with an open-minded team
- Increase test coverage and reliability and help troubleshoot production issues
- Collaborate frequently with other engineers, deeply review code, and mentor junior developers
- Notice and speak up about opportunities to improve both the member and developer experience
What will help you succeed:
- 4+ years of experience in a software engineering role (we will hire several Full stack Engineers at various levels)
- Experience with the frameworks and platforms that align with our stack:
- GraphQL (Apollo)
- Node (Express)
- Ruby on Rails
- Postgres or similar relational database
- Experience with key areas of web development:
- Mobile-first design
- A/B testing
- Modern design patterns (Storybook, SCSS, Styled Components)
- Automated testing (Jest, Enzyme, React Testing Library, Cypress, rspec)
- Monitoring and alerting (Sentry, Rollbar, Datadog)
- A strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- Comfort managing the fine balance between shipping speed and code perfection
- Ability and internal drive to problem-solve, both creatively and pragmatically
- Skill with collaboration, mentoring, learning from other engineers, and treating colleagues with empathy and respect
- Ability to scope, prioritize, and deliver on project commitments
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Passion for our mission, sustainability, and helping drive a clean-energy future
Eliminating carbon footprints, eliminating carbon copies.
- Market-based compensation (salary + equity)
- Healthcare, dental, vision, 401(k) and commuter benefits
- Paid Time Off (holidays, vacation, professional development, volunteer, parental leave)
- A supportive engineering culture that values diversity, empathy, teamwork, trust, and efficiency
- Professional development opportunities
- All-company lunches
- Free clean energy
- A chance to decarbonize and disrupt the energy sector
Here at Arcadia, we cultivate diversity, celebrate individuality, and believe unique perspectives are key to our collective success in creating a clean energy future. Arcadia is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. While we are currently unable to consider candidates who will require visa sponsorship, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates eligible to work in the United States.