At Wisk, we believe that less time getting there means more time being there for the moments that truly matter. We are an urban air-mobility company dedicated to delivering safe everyday flight for everyone. Our self-flying air taxi, Cora, will make it possible to skip the traffic and get to where you’re going, faster. Join us to craft a better world by opening access to the sky.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Engineering, the Head of Software Engineering will manage the Software Engineering organization, which develops airborne avionics software and control systems and ground control station software, for both experimental and certified applications. The Head of Software will be a part of the Technical Leadership Team, which also consists of leaders from the Systems Engineering, Hardware Engineering, and Flight and Systems Test teams.Essential Responsibilities:
The Head of Software Engineering will be a key part of the technical leadership team and will need a combination of engineering people management and demonstrated technical leadership acumen in the area of software development. This position will be responsible for directing the work of the following groups which each have established managers: Embedded Software, Compliant Software development, Software V&V, Software Systems Engineering, and Tools and Infrastructure.
The successful candidate must be a self-starter with a proven track record of successful execution and delivery of safety critical software in the Aerospace industry. They must have the technical breadth necessary to oversee all functions within the software engineering organization. They must have strong experience as an organizational leader with demonstrated experience building, overseeing and developing highly talented and successful software engineering teams.
- Build, lead and manage all parts of the software engineering organization
- Foster a culture that inspires high levels of performance and accountability
- Balance the need for innovation with the demands of developing safety critical, certifiable software.
- Help define the overarching design, analysis, test and certification approach
- Drive focus on quality and reliability
- Prioritize and allocate budget and resources for the engineering team
- Set annual goals and pro-actively analyze metrics to drive process improvements within engineering
- Effectively partner with other members of the technical leadership team to balance and achieve company goals
- Demonstrated success leading a safety critical software engineering organization with multiple functional areas, including new technology projects versus legacy systems
- Thorough understanding of software certification requirements (DO-178C, ISO 26262, or equivalent)
- Ability to drive accountability appropriately within the organization, especially in service to schedule, scope and cost
- Strategic thinker with very strong decision making and communication skills
- Highly self-motivated with a strong bias for action, and excellent problem solving skills across multidisciplinary skill sets
- Demonstrable experience selecting, managing, developing and motivating technically diverse teams.
- An excellent communicator (verbal and written) internally and externally, able to represent the company to the highest standards and report effectively to the senior management team on Engineering strategy, performance and outlook.
- A visionary leader who can adapt and drive innovation and performance as the company goes through rapid growth
- Ability to lead remote and geographically diverse engineering teams
- Fosters an inclusive environment for the Engineering team including mentorship, guidance and encourages open communication regarding challenges and suggestions for technology and project evolution.
- Manages multiple projects simultaneously with an appropriate sense of urgency.
- Quick-minded; creative and driven while remaining action and results oriented.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Software, Computer, Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Master’s Degree or PhD strongly preferred
- 15+ years of direct experience in the design, development, and verification of software in safety critical certification projects.
- Proven experience in a leadership role and a management role.
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), alternative work schedule (9/80), flexible time off, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Wisk Aero provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wisk Aero abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wisk Aero is an E-Verify employer.