Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and equitable workplaces. For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities Ceres is seeking a highly qualified Senior Director of the Accelerator for Sustainable Capital Markets to oversee Ceres’ new initiative that seeks to address challenges and take advantages of opportunities to transform the rules, policies, and signals that govern capital markets to accelerate action on climate change. This new position will directly oversee the launch of a portfolio of capital markets-focused projects and ensure integration with other Ceres program teams to build off the organization’s long history of work, experience and thought leadership in this space. The Accelerator Director will help to strengthen and support capital markets-focused projects managed out of those programs. In addition, s/he will play a lead role in representing Ceres and its intellectual capital externally, including building and managing new, high-level partnerships with key capital markets players and influencers. The position will also be central to increasing the financial resources of the Accelerator, in partnership with Ceres Development program, through conducting targeted outreach and cultivation of key funding partners, including individual donors and foundations. This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced professional with capital markets expertise to advance private sector leadership on a wide range of sustainability issues. This role is for someone with strong internal management capabilities, who can be extremely effective at representing Ceres externally in a wide range of settings with capital markets partners and members, funders, and donors. For the first year, while the Accelerator is being launched and initial projects are gaining traction, the Senior Director will report to the Vice President of Innovation and Evaluation and work closely with the CEO. The position will also be closely aligned with Ceres Network programs, enabling the Accelerator team to tap into the collective power and impact of Ceres’ relationships with influential investors and companies.Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead and coordinate the development, launch and/or implementation of the Accelerator’s major strategies and campaigns in partnership with key program directors across the organization.
- Develop and manage a set of critical organizational projects and partnerships to elevate Ceres influence and impact within the capital markets, including new partnership models aimed at increasing collaboration on key issues with other NGOs.
- Directly oversee the establishment of new projects associated with the Accelerator, such as an advisory board, a fellows program and/or prize.
- Identify and foster a pipeline of potential new projects and initiatives to advance the Accelerator’s goals, in partnership with the VP of Innovation & Evaluation and other program leads across the organization.
- Participate in high-level external relationship building and public speaking events in order to enhance Ceres influence, thought leadership, visibility and partnerships in this space.
- Contribute to fundraising goals for the Accelerator, including cultivating and managing relationships with current and prospective individual donors and foundation funders.
- Hire, guide and mentor an initial team of two to three staff members.
- Serve as external spokesperson for the Accelerator and represent its work to a range of external audiences, from the media, investor, business and NGO partners, to critical sustainability audiences and capital markets actors, funders and donors.
- Other duties as they arise.
- 15 years of relevant work experience in roles of progressive responsibility.
- Experience in private sector, particularly working with and/or in the investment and finance communities.
- Prior role focused on addressing environmental, social, and governance issues within a company.
- Experience as a senior leader and manager in a fast-paced and growing enterprise.
- Demonstrated record of supervising senior staff to achieve programmatic and fundraising goals.
- Proven track record of results-driven strategic program management is required,
- Experience cultivating effective supervisory relationships (across gender identity, race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic background) with direct reports and managing senior level staff and teams, supporting an inclusive workplace, where everyone has an opportunity for advancement.
- Broad understanding of how to build effective collaborations across other program areas, departments, and different levels of staff both internal and external to the organization.
- Experience and appreciation for a matrix management environment.
- Strong relationship management skills with external partners and funders is necessary for success in this position.
- Entrepreneurial attitude
- Ability to both build strong, stable programs and to innovate and take advantage of strategic opportunities.
- Demonstrated success in both halves of the resource equation—cultivating and closing income prospects, and managing and deploying staff and budgets
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written is critical to the success in this role
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Ability to travel to support programmatic and fundraising goals.
How to Apply We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed. Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.