The Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is a private non-profit organization creating an inclusive green economy by unlocking innovation, transforming markets and enhancing communities. Founded as an economic development initiative by the City of Los Angeles and its Department of Water & Power (LADWP), LACI is recognized as one of the most innovative business incubators in the world by UBI. In the past six years, LACI has helped 73 portfolio companies raise $184M in funding, $220M in revenue, create 1,700 jobs, and deliver more than $379M in long term economic value. Learn more at laci.org.
The Accounting Analyst uses both accounting and analytical skills including budgeting, variance reporting, forecasting, and analysis of supporting schedules. Working within the Accounting and Finance Department, this role will also help with routine closing procedures and month-end/year-end journal entries.
What You’ll Do:
- Routine Closing Procedures: Manage the month-end, year-end and other periodic routine closing procedures including posting journal entries, updating and reconciling supporting analyzed schedules for all accrual/amortized ledgers including fixed assets, deferrals, temporarily restricted net assets, pre-paid accounts (accrued and amortized), rent roll, among others.
- Support EVP and Finance Team: Developing annual budgets for each strategic business unit (department), as well as provide analysis for monthly actual-to-budget variances, and quarterly forecasting to fiscal year-end. Support Internal & External Audits and maintain A-133 audit level compliance.
- Develop Methodology: For creating monthly cash flow projection to fiscal year-end, conforming to accrual PL, and aligned with the Statement of Cash Flows
- Maintain Monthly Reconciliations: Cash, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll and help with posting and processing all AP items.
- Implement Policy for Analyzing AR: Along with collections and criteria for write-offs
- Contract Vendor Compliance: Funders / stakeholders as well as with 3rd party agreements for insurance, licenses, invoicing, W9s, renewals/cancellations. Manage LACI’s insurance plans (D&O/General Liability/Auto).
- Maintain Accounting Policies and Procedures: In accordance with 501(c)(3) and Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP) requirements.
Why You’re Right for the Job:
- You’re a numbers and analytics person: Besides generalist accounting experience with both AP and AR, you love looking into process and procedure and helping organizations standardize accounting practices.
- You care about the details. Spreadsheets and budgets don’t intimidate you. You’re used to juggling multiple research, process and content projects. That’s a lot of “multiples”, but your organizational skills and strategies will set you up for success.
- You’re ambitious and driven. This comes primarily from your desire to create meaningful change through your work. Due to this inner drive, you have a tendency to take projects further, faster, and you’re willing to go above and beyond to get the job done well.
- Finance and accounting challenges excites you. You’re not afraid to dive in deep to contracts and grants. The day-to-day administration of non-profit accounting is invigorating to you.
Basically, we want to know you can get the job done. This means you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or other related field
- 4+ years of relevant accounting experience
- Strong knowledge of QuickBooks
- Strong proficiency in MS Excel and Google Sheets
- Excellent organization and time management skills
This is a full-time position, starting immediately. LACI operates out of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, in the bustling Downtown LA Arts District. Since we are rapidly growing, you will be getting in on the ground floor at LACI, with the opportunity to evolve with us and shape your future here.
In addition to working on a campus with other innovators, we offer industry competitive benefits including: paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401(k) plan, and paid parking. We also support alternative transportation with a metro pass for every employee. Although we trust that you can do amazing work remote or from your home office, this is an in-house only position.