The Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is a private non-profit organization creating an inclusive green economy by unlocking innovation (through working with startups to accelerate the commercialization of clean technologies), transforming markets (through partnerships in transportation, energy and sustainable cities) and enhancing communities (through workforce development, pilots and other programs). Founded as an economic development initiative by the City of Los Angeles and its Department of Water & Power (LADWP), LACI is recognized as one of the most innovative business incubators in the world by UBI. In the past six years, LACI has helped 73 portfolio companies raise $184M in funding, $220M in revenue, create 1,700 jobs, and deliver more than $379M in long term economic value. Learn more at laci.org.
The Digital and Design Coordinator plays a key role in the Marketing and Communications Team. They contribute to the creative process from initial discovery and ideation through delivery of a wide range of artistic and messaging work including video, web, email, social media and print. In collaboration with LACI’s marketing and communications team and program team members, the Digital and Design Coordinator brainstorms new concepts and executes design works on time and within budget. Crafting beautiful and engaging content for LACI’s digital and marketing channels, the Digital and Design Coordinator translates complex ideas into compelling and informative designs. Through the production of clear and thoughtful social media posts, graphics and videos they help amplify LACI’s mission across various channels to share LACI’s work in creating an inclusive green economy.
What You’ll Do:
- Design Execution: Create elegant and eye-catching designs to communicate LACI’s brand message; Concept, design, present and implement thoughtful creative solutions that engage our audience and communicate who we are; Produce assets for both print and digital platforms (e.g. social media, video, emails, presentations and invitations).
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Work alongside marketing, development, operations and program teams in creating, visualizing and executing concepts for projects across all channels. Work with VP of Marketing and Communications and other LACI leaders to conceptualize compelling design for all of LACI’s program and pillars that align with our brand vision, builds meaningful community connections, and encourages authentic engagement.
- Social media content and messages: Ideate and draft compelling content that is on-brand and on-message for all LACI social media channels to amplify LACI’s message to our stakeholders, including videos, images and messages.
- Website updates: Work with the Vice President of Marketing and Communications to keep the website updated with content and visuals. WordPress experience a must.
- Creative Concepting: Identify project direction and creative messaging requirements; Translate complex information into innovative rough drafts, storyboarding and wireframes; Expand upon LACI’s visual aesthetic by incorporating relevant market research on current industry trends and technologies; Maintain brand consistency while incorporating new and creative design concepts across all channels.
- Asset Maintenance & Organization: Maintain an organized system of LACI’s branding collateral, photos, image archive, and print and digital assets; Manage and uphold design / brand standards and file naming conventions; Retouch photos and images for digital and print use.
- Event Photography and Video: Liaising cross-functionally with program teams to plan and execute against video and photography needs at LACI-run on-campus events. Short list photos and from events and archive and produce videos as needed for web or social media.
- Vendor Relations: Liaise with external printers and vendors to gather quotes, communicate needs, meet deadlines, and ensure quality control.
Why You’re Right for the Job:
- You know graphic design: You have a natural eye for layouts, design and how to communicate a message through the proper channels whether it’s through email, social media, or printed.
- You are a natural story-teller: You have the ability to visualize the story and communicate it to others effectively. You are able to send the exact message you mean to and tell what will be important to others.
- “Social Media Expert” means something different to you: Others may think they know what this means, but you have experience with what will catch someone’s eye and shine a spotlight on the brand in positive ways.
- You know video production: You have experience concepting, directing, shooting and editing short videos for web and social media.
- You can assess communication needs from different stakeholders: Whether it’s the Development Team or a Program Team, you are able to determine what others in the organization need from Marketing.
Basically, we want to know you can get the job done. This means you have:
- BA in graphic design or a related field.
- 2+ years of social media content creation on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- 2+ years of visual design experience - video, photography, social media and print
- A strong portfolio showing thoughtful execution of concepts and designs.
- Well developed layout and typography skills (with knowledge of visual hierarchies).
- Strong experience with industry-standard social media platform and design tools (e.g. Hootsuite, Planable, Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator and video editing software).
- Comfortable contributing to creative brainstorming sessions and pitching ideas to further projects.
This is a full-time position starting immediately. LACI operates out of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, in the bustling Downtown LA Arts District. Since we are rapidly growing, you will be getting in on the ground floor at LACI, with the opportunity to evolve with us and shape your future here.
In addition to working on a campus with other innovators, we offer industry competitive benefits including: paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401(k) plan, and paid parking. We also support alternative transportation with a metro pass for every employee. Although we trust that you can do amazing work remote or from your home office, this is an in-house only position.