The Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is a private non-profit organization creating an inclusive green economy by unlocking innovation (through working with startups to accelerate the commercialization of clean technologies), transforming markets (through partnerships in transportation, energy and sustainable cities) and enhancing communities (through workforce development, pilots and other programs). Founded as an economic development initiative by the City of Los Angeles and its Department of Water & Power (LADWP), LACI is recognized as one of the most innovative business incubators in the world by UBI. In the past six years, LACI has helped 73 portfolio companies raise $184M in funding, $220M in revenue, create 1,700 jobs, and deliver more than $379M in long term economic value. Learn more at laci.org.
Through the development of strategic external and internal messaging, the Marketing & Communications Coordinator helps shape the delivery of LACI’s compelling mission and finds new and creative ways to engage the people in our work. They are responsible for coordinating public relations outreach, drafting content and copy for print assets, social media and group emails, and assisting with communication directed to key stakeholders. Above all, the Marketing and Communications Coordinator is committed to developing on-brand and engaging content and copy for LACI.
What You’ll Do:
- Communicate LACI’s Mission: Work cross-functionally across teams to devise, write and publish on-brand website, blog, social media and newsletter content; Manage and curate LACI’s social media content and accounts; Collaborate to create copy for LACI events, print materials and other technical content to share the progress and successes of LACI programs and startup companies;
- Grow Audience Base: Analyze open and engagement rates on LACI emails to identify audience interests; Develop, write and deploy email marketing campaigns that ensure audience retention and engagement; Use Google Analytics and SEO to drive site traffic and improve LACI’s digital reach; Conduct market research to identify effective promotional methods and new media opportunities.
- Develop & Maintain Thought Leadership: Create engaging communications campaigns that describe and promote LACI’s mission and services; Update company website with relevant content creation; Work with creative team to ensure graphics, logos and other promotional tools are visually consistent across all outreach materials.
- Assist with Public Relations: Coordinate media requests and serves as liaison between media and key staff; Identify and develop relationships with media, potential partners, and agencies to expand mission reach and messaging.
- Creative Cross-Collaboration: Communicate design needs for marketing campaigns, clearly defining project scope and mission; Work with creative team (externally and internally) to develop on brand assets to assist in messaging.
- Events: Prepare Powerpoint presentations, draft talking points, create and display welcome slides and other visual assets, create and deploy Eventbrite registration pages and distribute promotional material through MailChimp and similar platforms, greet guests and check in attendees.
Why You’re Right for the Job:
- You know content creation: You have a natural affinity for the analysis and numbers behind content creation. You have a strategy for communicating a message through the proper channels whether it’s through email, social media, or print.
- You are a natural story-teller: You have the ability to visualize the story and communicate it to others effectively. You are able to send the exact message you mean to and tell what will be important to others.
- “Social Media Expert” means something different to you: Others may think they know what this means, but you have experience with what will catch someone’s eye and shine a spotlight on the brand in positive ways. Social media analysis doesn’t scare you and you know what “trending” and “impressions” really mean.
- You can assess communication needs from different stakeholders: Whether it’s the Development Team or a Program Team, you are able to determine what others in the organization need from Marketing
Basically, we want to know you can get the job done. This means you have:
- B.A. in Marketing, Communications or a related field.
- 1-2 years experience working within a marketing or communications position.
- Excellent copywriting, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite especially Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Photoshop and InDesign and social media planning software.
- Knowledge of online and social media marketing.
- Strong time management and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Results-oriented with proven track record of achieving goals on time and within budget.
This is a full-time position, starting immediately. LACI operates out of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, in the bustling Downtown LA Arts District. Since we are rapidly growing, you will be getting in on the ground floor at LACI, with the opportunity to evolve with us and shape your future here.
In addition to working on a campus with other innovators, we offer industry competitive benefits including: paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401(k) plan, and paid parking. We also support alternative transportation with a metro pass for every employee. Although we trust that you can do amazing work remote or from your home office, this is an in-house only position.