A global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental challenges, Verra seeks a
Chief Program Officer (CPO) to oversee the various standards frameworks Verra currently manages,
ensure effective collaboration with Verra’s Innovation, Market Development and Administrative
teams, and provide strategic input to organizational opportunities and challenges. The CPO will
directly supervise Directors responsible for managing diverse teams working on the day-to-day
implementation of Verra programs, the development of program elements, including those related to
REDD+ and AFOLU, and management of the Verra registry.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Significant experience managing standards and their associated programmatic elements,
including the development of accounting methodologies, working with auditors and ensuring
the quality of their work, and overseeing a registry system;
• A keen understanding of the evolving policy frameworks affecting climate change action, the
achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and other environmental and
• Expertise working with external stakeholders and the ability to understand market and user
needs, to inform the ongoing evolution of Verra’s portfolio of standards;
• Deep understanding of REDD+ and nature-based solutions for climate change mitigation; and
• Proven expertise managing teams, including being detail-oriented and well organized with
excellent staff and project management skills.
Verra develops and manages standards that help the private sector, countries, and civil society
achieve ambitious sustainable development and climate action goals. Currently, Verra manages the
Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program and its Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ framework (JNR),
the Verra California Offset Project Registry (OPR), the Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB)
Standards, and the Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta). Verra is currently
developing standards under the Reduce, Recover, and Recycle (3R) Initiative to increase the value of
waste plastic and promote its recovery and recycling, and is working on the development of
LandScale, an effort to drive sustainability across productive landscapes. Verra’s global standards
frameworks serve as linchpins for channeling finance towards high-impact activities that tackle some
of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
The Chief Program Officer will lead the management of Verra’s existing standards programs and help
launch new standards programs for addressing global environmental and social challenges. The Chief
Program Officer will:
• Manage the Directors working to ensure the delivery and overall success of all active Verra
• Provide strategic leadership on Verra’s standards and programs, positioning them for success
in the context of changing market and policy dynamics and ensuring they continue to
effectively drive finance towards climate action and sustainable development;
• Work with market stakeholders and existing/potential framework users to understand and
respond to trends, risks and opportunities faced by Verra’s standards;
• Serve as one of the principal spokespersons for Verra at international forums, such as the
international negotiations on climate change, carbon and environmental conferences and
• Conduct regular reviews of program operations and recommend corrective actions where
• Collaborate with Verra’s Innovation Team to provide standards implementation leadership to
new Verra initiatives, including LandScale and 3R Standards for Project and Corporate
Accounting, to ensure the effective development of these frameworks and taking over
management of the associated standards programs, as appropriate, once ready to be
• Collaborate with Verra’s Market Development team to ensure use and uptake of Verra
standards, and to gather feedback from users and other stakeholders to inform changes and
improvements to the full suite of Verra standards;
• Lead the development of the Program Department’s annual budget; and
• Participate in Verra’s executive team and contribute to the strategic direction of the
We encourage proven leaders who bring strong experience working on standards and who are
excellent managers to apply for this position. In addition, applicants should have outstanding written
and verbal communication skills, and expertise in environmental or other sustainability-related
markets. Successful candidates for the Chief Program Officer position will have at least 10 years of
demonstrated professional experience related to:
• The development and/or implementation of standards and their related programs;
• Detailed technical knowledge of at least one standard and the related programmatic
infrastructure needed to operationalize it;
• Nature-based solutions such as REDD+, Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU) or
• Managing teams of professionals;
• Cross-team collaboration and building effective working relationships with peers;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and work efficiently and
effectively under deadlines;
• Dynamic interpersonal skills, capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in
• Cultural awareness, with the ability to work well with stakeholders and partners from
different countries and cultures; and
• Self-starter with an ability to excel in a professional environment with limited supervision.
Employees based in the US must be eligible to work in the United States (i.e., US citizen or holding
current work authorization).
• Graduate degree in environmental studies/sciences, sustainable development, engineering,
energy, or a related field.
• Solid network of contacts in any of the markets served by our programs.
• Fluency in a language beyond English.
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Verra has established pay bands that
are based on market data for comparable positions for each of its jobs. These bands express a salary
range and provide a reference point for offers to new hires, raises within a job, and for promotions
from one job to another.
Verra offers a very attractive benefits package, including 22-30 days of paid time off plus holidays,
retirement contributions, access to flexible savings accounts, and a choice of top-tier health plans.