A global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental challenges, Verra, seeks a
Director, REDD+ and AFOLU to oversee our land-based work under the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS).
The Director will report to the Chief Program Officer, and will sit within a team of directors who oversee
the day-to-day implementation of Verra programs, the ongoing development of program elements and
management of the Verra registry.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience in REDD+ and other Agriculture, Forestry and Other
Land Use (AFOLU) activities and will have proven expertise in managing teams, engaging outside
stakeholders, and identifying and implementing pathways for continued improvement of standards. In
particular, the ideal candidate will have a keen understanding of policy, market and user needs related
to REDD+ and AFOLU solutions, with knowledge of UNFCCC and national policy frameworks,
jurisdictional approaches and project development to inform the ongoing evolution of Verra’s portfolio
of standards to ensure they continue to drive climate action and sustainable development in the landuse sector. The Director will be detail-oriented and well organized, and have excellent staff and project
Verra develops and manages standards that help the private sector, countries, and civil society
achieve ambitious sustainable development and climate action goals. Currently, Verra manages the
Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program and its Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ framework (JNR),
the Verra California Offset Project Registry (OPR), the Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB)
Standards, and the Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta). Verra is currently
developing standards under the Reduce, Recover, and Recycle (3R) Initiative to increase the value of
waste plastic and promote its recovery and recycling, and is working on the development of
LandScale, an effort to drive sustainability across productive landscapes. Verra’s global standards
frameworks serve as linchpins for channeling finance towards high-impact activities that tackle some
of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
The Director, REDD+ and AFOLU will lead Verra’s land-based work within its existing standards
programs. The Director will:
• Manage the team responsible for the day-to-day management and evolution of all of Verra’s
REDD+ and AFOLU work in existing standards and programs, currently the VCS Program, JNR,
the CCB Standards and SD VISta. This will include:
o Providing program leadership on the future of Verra’s nature-based solutions work,
including REDD+, AFOLU as well as non-carbon focused programs like SD VISta,
positioning them for success in the context of changing policy dynamics and ensuring
they continue to effectively drive finance towards nature-based climate action and
o Maintaining the robustness, workability and reputations of Verra’s nature-based work
by identifying opportunities for, and managing changes to relevant Verra programs;
o Periodically assessing the rigor of and risks to Verra’s REDD+ and AFOLU standards and
programs (including the buffer system) and implement any necessary updates and
o Serving as a subject matter expert within the program team, including training and
mentoring junior staff
• Work to resolve critical issues related to AFOLU, including collaborating with relevant Program
Team staff to respond to stakeholder inquiries and concerns, and supporting projects and
governments to nest REDD+ projects
• Collaborate with Verra’s Innovation team to provide relevant policy and technical input to
ensure new REDD+ and AFOLU related standards, methodologies and program innovations
are technically sound and support and align with relevant international and domestic policy
• Collaborate with Verra’s Market Development team to support uptake and impact of Verra’s
nature-based solutions, and to gather feedback from users and other stakeholders to inform
changes and improvements to relevant Verra standards
We encourage proven leaders in the REDD+ space who bring strong experience working on standards
and who are excellent managers to apply for this position. In addition, applicants should have
outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and expertise in environmental or other
sustainability-related markets and a background in forestry and/or agriculture. Successful candidates
for the Director will have at least 10 years of demonstrated professional experience related to:
• The development and/or implementation of REDD+ and AFOLU-related standards and their
• International and domestic REDD+ policy, including experience with jurisdictional and nested
• Expertise in forestry, agriculture/soils or other AFOLU/NBS-related technical area
• Managing a team of at least three professionals;
• Cross-team collaboration and building effective working relationships with peers;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and work efficiently and effectively
• Dynamic interpersonal skills, capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in
• Culturally aware with ability to work well with stakeholders and partners from different
countries and cultures; and
• Self-starter with an ability to excel in a professional environment with limited supervision.
• Employees based in the US must be eligible to work in the United States (i.e., US citizen or
holding current work authorization).
• Previous professional experience in environmental, sustainable development and/or
international development organizations.
• Graduate degree in forestry, agriculture or other environmental studies/sciences or sustainable
development- related field.
• Solid network of contacts in the REDD+ and AFOLU space.
• Fluency in a language beyond English, with preference for Spanish, Portuguese, French or
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Verra has established pay bands that
are based on market data for comparable positions for each of its jobs. These bands express a salary
range and provide a reference point for offers to new hires, raises within a job, and for promotions
from one job to another.
Verra offers a very attractive benefits package, including 22-30 days of paid time off plus holidays,
retirement contributions, access to flexible savings accounts, and a choice of top-tier health plans.